How can I apply?
Applicant must complete and submit the application within the application period.

I noticed there are two applications.  Which one should I fill out?

Students who are 2015 scholarship recipients and would like to apply to receive another scholarship in the 2016-2017 academic year should complete the renewal application.  

If you are a first-time applicant, previously applied but were not selected as a recipient, or received an HHSFMO scholarship prior to 2015, please complete the application for first-time HHSFMO scholarship applicants.

Do I have to be Hispanic to apply?
Yes. For purposes of the Hispanic Heritage Scholarship Fund of Metro Orlando, “Hispanic” is defined as anyone who was born in or is a first or second generation descendant of a person who was born in any of the following countries:  Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, El Salvador, Spain, Uruguay, or Venezuela.

Is there a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) requirement?
Yes. Students must have a minimum 3.00 GPA based on a 4.00 scale.

Do I have to be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident to apply for a scholarship?
At the time of the application submission, applicants must comply with one of the following conditions:

  • Be a U.S. citizen (either born or naturalized)
  • Be a legal permanent resident with a valid permanent resident card or a passport stamped I-551 (not expired)
  • Have documented DACA status (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)
  • Be an eligible non-citizen as defined by HHSFMO. These include:
    • U.S. permanent resident, with a Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as an Alien Registration Receipt Card or "Green Card”)
    • Conditional permanent resident (I-551C)
    • Other eligible noncitizen with a valid Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following designations: Refugee, Asylum Granted, Indefinite Parole, Humanitarian Parole, or Cuban-Haitian Entrant

I am a refugee or have established asylum status. Am I eligible to apply?
Yes. Applicants must submit a valid I94 at the time of submission of their application. The I94 must be stamped as: Refugee, Asylum Status, Conditional Entrant, Parolee or Cuban Haitian Entrant.

I have an International Student Visa or a Work Visa. Am I eligible to apply?
No. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents with a valid permanent resident card or a passport stamped I-551 (not expired) at the time of submission of their application.

I am a high school student. Can I apply?
Yes. Graduating high school seniors may apply as long as they have been accepted into an accredited college or university.  High school students will be asked to include a copy of the enrollment letter in the scholarship application.

 Can I attend any college or university in Central Florida to be considered?

No.  In order to qualify, the applicant must be accepted or enrolled in an accredited institution in one of the four Central Florida counties served by HHSFMO.  Those counties are Orange, Osceola, Seminole, and Lake.

The accredited colleges and universities in this area are:

·       Adventist University of Health Sciences

·       Everest University

·       Florida Technical College

·       Full Sail University

·       Herzing University

·       Lake-Sumter State College

·       Polytechnic University of Puerto Rico

·       Rollins College

·       Seminole State College

·       Sistema Universitario Ana G. Mendez

·       University of Phoenix

·       University of Central Florida

·       Valencia College

I am older than the traditional college student. Am I eligible to apply?
Yes. Our scholarships are not age-based. Students may apply as long as they meet all the eligibility requirements, regardless of age.

I am a graduate student. Am I eligible to apply?
No. With the exception of the law school scholarship co-sponsored by the Hispanic Bar Association of Central Florida, our scholarships are for undergraduate degree-seeking students only.

I am currently enrolled in college, but taking EAP classes since I did not attend high school in the United States and English isn’t my first language. Am I still eligible for the scholarship? 

Yes. As long as you meet all of the other scholarship requirements, you are eligible to apply.

When will scholarship recipients be notified? 

All applicants will receive a notification letter by mail before July 31 stating whether or not they have been selected as a scholarship recipient.

I want to change one of the sources of recommendation that I included in my application?  Can I do that?

Yes.  Please contact us with the name and e-mail address of your new source of recommendation/reference, and we will send them a link to the recommendation form.

Can my recommendations be submitted by mail or email instead of through the online system? 

Due to the high volume of applications and recommendations, we only accept online recommendations at this time.  As you complete your scholarship application, please make sure that your references are aware that you have listed them for recommendations, and let them know that they will receive an e-mail notification with a link to the recommendation form.

My source of recommendation did not receive the e-mail with the link to the online recommendation form. How can I send them another link? 

Please contact our office with the name and contact information of your source of recommendation.  We will re-send the link to them.

 If my recommendation gave me a handwritten letter, can I submit it to you?

No.  In order for the recommendation to be accepted and your application to be considered complete, the recommender must fill out the recommendation questionnaire that is e-mailed by the scholarship fund.

My source of recommendation is unable to complete the recommendation form before the deadline.  What should I do?

Recommendations must be submitted on or before April 1.  It is your responsibility to follow up with the person(s) you have listed as your sources of recommendation and make sure that they are able to complete the form before the deadline.  If they are unable to do so and you choose to include a different source of recommendation that is able to complete the process in time, please call our office at 407.270.6231 or send an e-mail to that includes the name, e-mail and phone number of your alternative source of recommendation.

Can I submit my transcripts via mail or does the school need to send them directly to the scholarship fund? 

The transcripts must be in the original, sealed envelope from the university. As long as they are still in the sealed envelope from your college or university, they will be accepted if you mail or hand-deliver them. 

Will my application be considered complete if my sealed transcripts are not there by the application due date? 

No.  The transcripts must be received by the application due date.

My school has a 72 hour transcript processing period and I will not make the deadline. Can I deliver them myself as soon as I pick them up? 

Your transcripts must be sealed and received on or before the deadline in order to be accepted.

Do you accept official electronic transcripts? 

No.  A hard copy of the sealed transcripts must be received in order for your application to be considered complete.

I don’t think my school can meet the deadline for the transcripts.  Can you reach out to my school regarding transcripts?

Due to the high volume of applications received, we cannot follow up with the applicants’ schools to expedite the transcripts.  It is your responsibility to ensure that your transcripts arrive by the deadline.

How will I know if you received my transcripts? 

You will receive a confirmation via e-mail once your transcripts are received.

I have a question that has not been answered in this FAQ.  How can I reach the scholarship fund’s office?

You can reach us at 407.270.6231 if you have any questions.